percent last year.
Other materials such as granite, wood, and metal
all came in with no more than single digit percentages.
Kitchen designers and manufacturers seem to be falling in love with the new wood-grained textured laminates that uncannily mimic the look and feel of real
NKBA: What’s hot in residential kitchen design trends
Kitchens and baths represent a $134 billion industry. According to research released by the National
Kitchen & Bath Assn. (NKBA), more than 10 percent of
American homeowners did a kitchen or bath remodeling project last year at a market price of $85 billion.
The kitchen and bath market for new construction is
The NKBA report, “Estimated Market Value for the
Kitchen & Bath Remodeling and New Residential Construction Markets,” finds that each year homeowners
remodel upwards of 10. 2 million kitchen and 14. 2 million bathrooms. Nearly half (48%) of kitchen remodels
were budgeted at $15,000 or more; while one-in-five
Americans (21%) spent $7,500 or more to remodel
their master bathroom.
According to NKBA’s 2017 Kitchen & Bath Design
Trends Report, here are 10 kitchen trends to watch for:
1. Clean lines, built-ins and simple door styles dominate kitchen designs. Contemporary-styled kitchens
will overtake traditional to be the second most popular
design after transitional. Emerging: industrial and mid
century modern. Mountain modern and coastal are
variations on contemporary.
2. White and gray painted cabinets dominate kitchen
color schemes and show no signs of slowing down,
especially gray. Blue painted and high gloss cabinets
are emerging. For overall color schemes, blue as well
as black are emerging.
3. Two-toned kitchens are gaining in popularity. Also
mixing it up: materials and metals, across surfaces and
4. While wood cabinets dominate kitchen designs,
metal – currently a small segment of the cabinet market
– appears to be emerging. Metal cabinets are most
frequently specified by younger and male designers.
5. Furniture-look pieces, rollouts, pullouts and under
cabinet lighting (LED) are among the most popular
kitchen cabinet features. Crown molding is declining.
Rustic and reclaimed woods were mentioned.
6. Quartz is the most popular kitchen countertop
material, and trending up. Granite, the second most
popular countertop material, is trending down.
7. Induction cooktops and convection ovens are trending higher, and microwave drawers are outpacing
freestanding or built-in microwaves.
8. Technology in the kitchen is increasing. About
one-third of NKBA professionals included wiring and
pathways for future tech integration. Also trending:
internet connected appliances and docking stations.
9. Interior barn and pocket doors are trending up.
10. Accessible and/or universal design features continue to trend up for kitchens.
Clean lines, built-ins and simple door styles dominate
kitchen designs. Contemporary- styled kitchens will
overtake traditional to be the second most popular design
after transitional. Emerging: industrial and mid century
modern. Mountain modern and coastal are variations on
contemporary. Credits: Designer: Nar Bustamante. NAR
Fine Carpentry Inc., Carmichael, CA. Photo: Fred Donham